Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bookmark and Share

Resurrection?

Today I was reminded of the glorious blessing of the resurrection that will one day happen for everyone who was born into this life. As I was out working I came across a 79 year-old man sitting on his porch sipping a glass of wine and smoking a cigarette. He didn't seem very happy with life and looked very discontented. I began talking to him and listening with sincere interest because I knew he needed a friend and someone to talk with.

We began talking about 'life' and what its for. He told me as a young child his father would drag him along to a baptist church in West Virginia but thats all he really remembers about God and Christ. Since then he has had no interest in spiritual things. He explained how he hopes to be cremated when he dies and could pass on gladly any day now. At this point I was feeling deep gratitude for my new friend and listened intently as he explained to me his wife's condition who had been diagnosed with colon and breast cancer ten years ago and is still battling it everyday with chemo and radiation treatments. The guy seemed saddened but acted as if he didn't care really, that once we die that's the end of it.

I then had the chance to share with him my beliefs about Jesus Christ and Christianity and how we will all be resurrected one day because of the Savior's sacrifice in our behalf. He seemed intrigued by the idea as he looked up at me with a grin putting his cigarette out. He then stated that I had given him some new hope, something to look forward to, but only as long as it was better than his life had been here on earth. He said I don't want to live again if it's like this life. He then told me about the war he was a part of in Korea.

We had a good chat for about 40 minutes or so and then I wished him well and he told me to take care and that he'd never forget me for the time I spent talking with him and thanked me with a smile.
2 Nephi 9:6,12, 22
6 For as adeath hath passed upon all men, to fulfil the merciful bplan of the great Creator, there must needs be a power of cresurrection, and the resurrection must needs come unto man by reason of the dfall; and the fall came by reason of etransgression; and because man became fallen they were fcut off from the gpresence of the Lord.
• • •
12 And this adeath of which I have spoken, which is the spiritual death, shall deliver up its dead; which spiritual death is bhell; wherefore, death and hell must cdeliver up their dead, and hell must deliver up its dcaptive espirits, and the grave must deliver up its captive fbodies, and the bodies and the gspirits of men will be hrestored one to the other; and it is by the power of the resurrection of the Holy One of Israel.
• • •
22 And he suffereth this that the resurrection might pass upon all men, that all might stand before him at the great and judgment day.


I am so grateful for the neat experiences I have everyday that teach me lessons along my way. That help me stretch and grow, remind me of Jesus and what I know. The Savior has paved the path, so that you and I may one day have all He hath. Glorious blessings from up above encourage each of us to show kindness and love. The gospel is true and brings much joy through and through for each girl and boy! - CJP

1 comment:

voleen.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.It a appears that your doing your missionary work alone with your every day work.Im sure they can feel the spirit in your countenance.What a special nephew you are in my eyes.

Bookmark and Share