Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bookmark and Share

Life of Learning!


Today I was reminded a few times that life is a journey of learning. Why are we here? What's our purpose of this earth life? Where does hope stem from for a better world?
Continuing on from yesterday's thoughts; preparing for the Savior's Second Coming isn't always easy. Life is a process of refining, learning, and growing. We all face adversities that help build us and make us stronger individuals.
As I was working today I pondered one of my favorite scriptures from the Book of Mormon, Alma 34:32-34. These verses bring me a lot of hope and comfort and answer the underlying questions I just posted above.


Alma 34:9, 17-19, 26-27, 32-34,

9 For it is expedient that an aatonement should be made; for according to the great bplan of the Eternal God there must be an atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are cfallen and are lost, and must perish except it be through the atonement which it is expedient should be made.
17 Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your afaith unto repentance, that ye begin to bcall upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you;

18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is amighty to save.
19 Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in aprayer unto him.
26 But this is not all; ye must apour out your souls in your bclosets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your ahearts be bfull, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your cwelfare, and also for the welfare of dthose who are around you.

What is this life for?

32 For behold, this alife is the time for men to bprepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of cthis life is the day for men to perform their dlabors.
33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many awitnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not bprocrastinate the day of your crepentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the dnight of edarkness wherein there can be no labor performed.
34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful acrisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth bpossess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

I am very grateful for my understanding of the purpose of this life. It's literally a school for Heavenly Father's children to be tried and tested, to repent, and become better disciples of Christ. I know that Jesus Christ atonement is real and he has suffered for all. He invites all to come follow Him.

I met a family tonight that are of a different faith than myself. We talked about the bible and the similarities of our religions and they asked me various questions about what Latter-day Saints believe this life is for?
Gratefully for the opportunity to share, I shared our basic beliefs of Faith, Repentance, Baptism, and the gift of the Holy Ghost. And then I also was able to share parts of the scripture I was pondering today. This experience helped strengthen my testimony that God lives and is aware of each one of us. I'm thankful for The Book of Mormon and the many plain and simple truths that are taught in it. Each time I read I am strengthened to do better.

If you've never had the chance to read from its pages you may read or listen online at http://www.lds.org/mp3/display/0,18692,5297-41,00.html
or order yourself a free copy at www.mormon.org/freeoffers

1 comment:

robcallfamily said...

Great idea...with this blog! I love it! I enjoy reading it! I might have to do one of my own someday. I can't even keep up with the family blog though! You are awesome!

Bookmark and Share